Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

THE AESTHETIC OF LIGHTNING RODS

    Back in April we got the sad news that all 5 of our chimney flues had deteriorated beyond repair.  This is the main reason we decided to have a fireplace built onto our addition.

    It just so happened that the very same day in April when I received the chimney 'news', Wallace, Donnie,and I met with a roofing contractor to finalize and sign the contract.  When the contractor said, "And what do you want to do with the lightning rods?  They don't really DO anything so you don't need them."
    Both my husband and Donnie said, simultaneously, "We don't need them."
    It was precisely at this moment when the stress of the project and the distress of losing my fireplaces got to me and I had what I have since referred to as a full blown grown-up temper tantrum.....right there in my front yard, I stomped my foot and screamed,
 "DO NOT GET RID OF MY LIGHTNING RODS !!!  THEY MOST CERTAINLY DO DO

SOMETHING.  I WANT THEM BACK ON THE HOUSE WHEN THE ROOF IS COMPLETED!"

    This, in front of a man whom I just met and in front of any neighbor or passer-by.  Nice first impression.

    Upon my eruption, both Wallace and Donnie, wide-eyed at this unexpected display, turned to the roofer and said, "The lightning rods go back."
    "Thank you," I said and walked away, realizing what I'd just done.
    This brings me to my point.  The roof is about done and it is time for those lightning rods to go back up.
.......Check back soon to see photos of the finished product!


No comments: