Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

DUMPSTER DIVING

    As I sit here this afternoon typing this blog update, my dear husband is dumpster diving on my behalf.  Now that is love!

A little history...
    The house next door, which has been vacant for so very long, finally sold last month.  The new owner is "flipping" the house and lots of treasures are being discarded. 

The house next door

    When I went by my Hawthorne house this morning to drop off some tools, I noticed that original windows with old glass and large louvered shutters were being thrown in the dumpster.  Seeing the shutters in the dumpster pained me... thinking that the contractor was destroying the character of the old home next door.  At the same time, to see the shutters in the dumpster gave me a bit of a thrill.  You see, I have been admiring the original shutters and hardware on the neighboring house and have been looking for 2 shutters to grace the front of my own house.   Had I not been on my way to work in high heels and all white I would have made the climb to save the coveted treasure.  Instead, knowing that my husband was going to be working this afternoon at Hawthorne, I called him to ask if he would take the plunge.


Wallace took a dive a month ago to rescue some original trim 

     Plunge he did!

I just got a phonecall from Wallace saying he rescued the shutters AND 5 of the old windows!  
"Do you want more?" he inquired.  Surely he knew the answer would be "Yes, please!"

Windows with old glass and amazing brass hardware

So readers, time to weigh in with an opinion... 

Choice A : the shutter on the left (a paneled shutter) 
or
Choise B:  the shutter on the right (louvered shutter rescued from the dumpster)


Whatcha think?
(Click on the comments button below or email me to make your opinion known.)





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep the shutter from next door, choice B