Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

THIS LITTLE LIGHT O' MINE

    With the weather being as hot as it has been, we spent a full day in the AC working on rewiring antique light fixtures.

Work surface
                                                                           
Original brass sconces will return to their places over 2 mantles

Even some of the original glass has survived the years

While the fixtures are still dirty and require some spit and polish, they all are rewired with up-to-date wiring instead of the deteriorated cloth-covered wire used with the old knob and tube wiring.

One particular fixture has given me a supreme challenge.  It is the small chandelier I purchased and cleaned up.  It was missing all it's wiring so we (Donnie and I) were working from scratch on this one.



Each of the 5 arms got individual wires

The candle fitting is re-attached

Wire is split and stripped  

Exposed copper is twisted and soldered

One of the arms gave me the devil.  The tail and the covered wire got stuck inside and broke off.  Nothing I did worked to remove the wire.

(Here is where I search for someone to salvage the project.)

The man of the hour (or actually 2 hours) is Kyle out at Reverie . studio.  Kyle is an artist and an electrical magician in my book.  He not only extracted the knotted up mess I created inside the small chandelier arm but also wired it for me.  I cannot sing enough praises!

This is not the first time Kyle has rescued us during this Hawthorne house project.  Several months ago when the drywall guys STOOD ON MY MANTLE and sent it crashing to the floor, Kyle took our damaged mantle, made a mold of the decorative corbel and used it to repair the damaged corbel.

The surrounding area is a mess but the mantle has been repaired to its original condition....Thanks to Kyle!

Go visit Kyle and the rest of the local artists out at Reverie.  There are loads of great works to add to anyone's eclectic collection.

I purchased this painting when I was out at Reverie!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this painting. And the house on Hawthorne Avenue is coming along. I need to come and visit you guys when you move in. Leney even said she would be there . To work in the new art studio. I would love to work in the new art studio.