Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

    I have for years had the luxury and privilege of being able to stay home with my children.  For me, being a mother has always been akin to being a juggler in a 3-ring circus.  If you drop a baton, keep juggling with a smile on your face.  The show must go on!

    Juggling all that must be done to see this renovation to and end is not such a foreign task.  It seems there are many batons that must remain in the air but, at the moment, all my batons are on fire.  It is not possible for  me to be at Hawthorne Ave today.  So, as I sit here at home eyeing a sick child on the sofa, I'm attempting to make dozens of renovation phone calls, manage mishaps and reschedule meetings all amidst bouts of nausea.

    In the meantime, how about a photo of my completed chimney?

detail of chimney 


    The hearth remains to be completed.  It will be level with the floor as are all the other hearths in the original part of the house.  The brick used on the inside is the brick from the original chimneys we took down in May.


    The mantle is one salvaged from a home on Brookland Parkway (coincidentally where Wallace's mother grew up in the 1930's).  I came across the mantle back in July and thought the $23 price was too good to pass up, especially since it has the dental molding detail that we have on the original fireplaces.

    Check back another day to see the mantle and the completed hearth! 

No comments: