Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

"GOOD USE OF AN S.A.T. WORD, MOM"

Anytime I speak a word more challenging to spell or define than those in my 1st grade reader....

Ann ran.
A man ran.
A ram ran.

....my son has been known to say, "Good use of an S.A.T. word, Mom!"

    This renovation project has expanded my vocabulary.  Some of my newly acquired vocabulary have been made up words like fairytoon.    Learning new terms for tools (A sawzall is actually a reciprocating saw ),  and parts of a house ( 'Dash' is not only a punctuation mark or something reindeer do , and 'flashing' is not only something streakers do ) has had a positive effect on my vocabulary.  Hearing some of the subcontractors converse among themselves has, on occasion, offended my ears.     

    I hope to continue expanding my vocabulary in a positive way.  It helps being able to speak the language when you are in foreign territory.  It makes communicating with contractors, construction crews, and salesmen in the building trade one heck of a lot easier.



No comments: