Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

JIGGETY FIG JAM


   Two days ago I had to severely trim my fig tree.  The tree grows on the south west corner of the house and, since April , it has been working on producing figs. (Yes, I realize producing fruit is a year-round process but the first visible fruit appeared back in April)  This made it difficult to cut the tree back so harshly.....and yet.....the brick mason had to build the new fireplace and chimney. My mom assured me that, in her experience, a fig tree can take some punishment from the loppers and be none worse for wear.  So, fingers crossed, prune it I did.

 
    Before I cut the tree back I picked all the ripe fruit.  I believe I harvested fruit before the local bird and squirrel population knew it was ready to eat because I got enough to make some preserves.

    Having never canned anything in my life I was a bit nervous about how and if it would turn out.  Searching the internet, I looked for a recipe that was touted not only tasty, but also fool-proof.  Recipes for strawberry fig preserves kept popping up.  Online comments about this type of preserve indicated it met my 2 top criteria (tasty & fool-proof) and, in addition, the seeds in the figs mimic strawberry seeds so the end product is more appealing to a, shall I say DISCERNING audience.


    The recipe I used yielded 6 cups of preserves and I used 4oz. jars so I have more small tastes to share with family and friends.  Those who know me also know I rarely follow a recipe 100%.  I have to admit I strayed, but only slightly.....adding approximately a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice while boiling and stirring.

The result......YUM !!!






   

No comments: